Friday, January 28, 2011

Tu es Petrus




http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/01/tu-es-petrus.html

Comments:
Anonymous said...

Well, it's a fine music and maybe was a 'pastoral' decision for the occasion. To me it's rather too dramatic (or theatrical). Remind me of big old movies, like Quo Vadis? Sort of music that accompanies the Roman emperor entering a theatre. I would have appreciated a bit humble, but dignified and quiet music.
January 28, 2011 4:54 AM


Keith Fraser said...

What you get is the awe and the majesty befitting the man commissioned by Christ to lead his church, majesty passed to his successors. The awe, the terror of that commission, juxtaposed by the quiet, polyphonic resolution of the piece just after the timpnoy and before it went to the Introit, Dignus est Agnus.

I thought it was amazing.
January 28, 2011 4:59 AM


Anonymous said...

Although drastic shift of the fine music can be amazing, I have a reservation for too much of dramatic contrast for the music in Mass. I think this has to be done carefully so not to be overdone.
The spiritual experience of Gregorian chant is very sublime with the subtle beauty that avoids the extreme of emotional turmoil by its nature of hiring musical concepts that avoid extreme range, volume, tempo..., so the emotion and feelings are moved naturally, not as if forced by external elements, which can be appropriate and needed in other places.

By the way I'm a fan of all your postings. I guess just this one I have a bit of disagreement. Thank you for all your work.
January 28, 2011 7:14 AM


Dad29 said...

The awe, the terror of that commission, juxtaposed by the quiet, polyphonic resolution of the piece

Precisely what I heard! "You will suffer" at the beginning, "unsettled" music illustrating 'the gates of Hell', and a gentle, loving, "I will give you the keys"--as if to say "I will love and support you" at the end.

Marvelous stuff.
January 28, 2011 11:10 AM

No comments: